Pages

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Unapologetically Black




I remember being a little boy

And wishing I were White

White kids always had more than I had

They had better things

They had more advantages

And then came Black Liberation

The Sixties, The Seventies

 “Black Power Movement”

Black became BEAUTIFUL

Afros

And of course, The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

The Civil Rights Movement

I could then shop anywhere

I could go to White movie houses

I could eat at a restaurant of my choosing

I could live in any neighborhood of my choosing

I could try on clothes in the department stores

I could go to any school

And the list goes on

Amazing how these social adventures are related to personal dignity!!

And after the struggle in the Civil Rights Movement

I became, “Unapologetically Black”


Today, I would not want to be anything else, but Black!!

God would have it no other way!

No comments: