Pages

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Thank You Note to the Couple that made Backpacking Possible


Written February, 2017

Thanks to the Two of You!

So much to say, So much to feel, I hardly know where to begin!

“Thank you always seems to be an appropriate starting point. So, thanks to the both of you for all the support that you have given to me at least for the last three years.

It was in June of 2014 that I renewed my passport and began my travel for peace, reconciliation, love of Spanish and possibly a residence somewhere in Latin America.

There is no question that we have been an extreme blessing to each other!
I have deep gratitude for all those times that I took a break and came to your home and was welcomed. 

And especially during the holidays when I was still grieving the loss of my sister and spent Thanksgiving with Jake’s family

Having said that, I was in a space of nowhere and dealing with my own realities. And to be perfectly honest, I, often, still feel that I am in a space of nowhere, dealing with realities!!

Becoming an expatriate is NO JOKE! It is hard as hell, but sometimes, it is necessary.
Some good news is that I finally had a breakthrough in Guadalajara. I finally had some reconciliation of peace with respect to the loss of my sister, being OK to spend time with my family during the holidays, especially my mother.

And if for some reason, I don’t make it there, at least it will not be for all of those past, tiring reasons. The other breakthrough was my fluency in speaking and understanding Spanish. I spoke Spanish fluently and understood EVERYTHING, ANYBODY said to me!!! Yay, I had been working towards and waiting for this moment for such a long time!

I am tired of scouting from country to country and need to settle somewhere for a while and get a dog! Guadalajara and Medellin are the two choices. Antigua Guatemala is a third choice because I have good friends there, but the volcano erupts too frequently.  When it does erupt, ashes are everywhere and it is such a nuisance!!

Guadalajara, Mexico has a slight edge because it was the city that I had multiple breakthroughs and the people are very nice. One taxi cab driver, who once lived in the States, told me, he pays $100 a month for rent! Hahaha.

However, I need to go to Medellin one more time just to make sure. I really love the city and the relaxed spirit that is there. It also may be somewhat cheaper than Guadalajara.
It has been here in Lima, where I seem to be stuck for a minute or two that I have begun to bite the bullet and make this necessary adjustment in my life. There are still things I need to do to make this transition and I hope that within the next two or three months, I can.


I have always been unhappy about our contact with each other. I very rarely, if ever, get a first strike “hello, how are you doing, from either of you. I always make the first strike and have to wait many days and even weeks for a response, especially from Jake. My problem is the reconciliation that I have to make when I have seen you guys for hours on end, on your cell phone; and Jake even texting while driving. 

Talk to you real soon!

No comments: