Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Rant #1, (Wonderful Technology, Texting and E-Mail Friendships ?!?)


My Next Few Blogs Will Be My Personal Rants and Raves

Rant # 1 Wonderful Technology, Texting and E-Mail Friendships ?!?


We are led to think, believe and cherish technology for the betterment of society and our lives. Technology has certainly increased our ability to communicate with the world in a matter of seconds. Of course, the problem with this is that we never have to see and look at the persons with whom we converse. Of course, there is the video that we can watch when we communicate with someone.

This does not belie the point that we can have relationships with persons without ever having to see their face or hear their voice. Oh, how I long to hear once more my sister's voice or see her face. Before my sister's death, we talked every day on the phone. Sometimes, we did not even talk, we just breathed and it was OK

When talking about what technology has taken away from us, I often say that I wish that I could smell, taste, touch and see her voice. What a blessing it is to hear someone's voice. Yet, we text and e-mail as if it were the only and last ways to communicate with someone.

I have associates who, when with others, text for the duration of the gathering. How disrespectful. I have told many that they need to go and be next to the person with whom they are communicating. It is obvious that they enjoy their company more.This idea goes over like water on a duck's back!! (lol).

I am discouraged that times have come to this and, therefore, my need to write further about the philosophy of technology. When I was a child, we had land line or pay phone booths. Before technology began to take over, I had in my head all the telephone numbers that I needed and many that I did not need. Many of us activated our brains to memorize, often hundred of numbers. What a cerebral task and indulgence of the human brain. We, now, know that capacity is not being used and therefore a reduction of brain mass. A theory, I guess, but possibly true. Of course, many of us had little carry around phone books, of which the most notorious is, "a little black book"

My nephew just rid his contact list of all numbers and he is now starting over with people who really want to speak and be in contact with him. Back in the day, there was no such thing as hundreds of useless numbers. It's a farce.

This type of behavior supports a world that has less human contact and that can never be a good thing

If there is a moral lesson here, it is "appreciate the voices in your life"

No comments: