Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Happy For Matthew Perry


Matthew Perry talks past opiate addiction: 'I couldn't leave my bed'

 |  By   |  2 comments
Matthew Perry has opened up about the horrors of his past opiate addiction.

The Go On actor recently spoke about his struggle with drugs at the Clinton Global Initiative University Conference, revealing that his low-point came at the same time as Friends was at its height of popularity.

Friends Cast Then and Now - Matthew Perry arrives to The 2012 Comedy Awards in New York
© PA Images / Charles Sykes/AP


"I was so hooked on opiates [at that point] that I couldn't even leave my bedroom," Perry recalled, according to Neon Tommy.

Perry was in the midst of shooting the film Serving Sara in 2001, when severe stomach pains led to a doctor's recommendation to enter rehab.

The former Friends actor additionally announced a decade later that he would take a month away from Hollywood to "focus on [his] sobriety".

Speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative, Perry said of his decision to enter rehab: "I realized that if I stepped outside of myself and lived for others I'd be happy."

Matthew Perry
© Rex Features


Perry also called for a more sensible national dialog about addiction in the US so people suffering from drug problems can more easily get help.

"I think we need to educate our doctors about addiction," he commented.

Perry has previously credited his time in rehab with helping him prepare for Go On in his role as a talkshow host who uses a support group to deal with the death of his wife.

Go On airs on Thursdays at 9.30pm ET on NBC.


Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/news/a471805/matthew-perry-talks-past-opiate-addiction-i-couldnt-leave-my-bed.html#ixzz2Un0nqtuH
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

No comments: