Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

Interesting Perspective About Biracial Children


'Mixed Kids Are the Cutest' Isn't Cute?

Race Manners: Comments about the superior beauty of your biracial child aren't just weird -- they're troubling.


 
Generic image (iStockphoto)
(The Root) --
"I'm a Caucasian woman with a biracial child (her father is black). I live in a predominantly white community. Why is it that whenever people discover that I have a 'mixed' child, they always say things like, 'Oh, he/she must be so cute/gorgeous/adorable, those kids are always the best looking. You are so lucky.' 
I know they mean well, but it seems off to me, and maybe racist. Do they mean compared to 'real' black children? When a German and Italian or an Asian and Jewish person have a child, black people don't say, 'Mixed children like yours are always the best looking.' (Plus, it's not true -- not all black-white biracial kids are the 'best looking.')
Am I being overly sensitive by feeling there's something off about these comments? If not, what's the best way to respond?"

No comments: