Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Love Meredith, Still Don't Like Matt





'Meredith Vieira' '/' NBC


Meredith Vieira isn't on "Today" anymore, but she feels loyal to the morning show and her former co-host, Matt Lauer.

Vieira told the New York Post she won't be reading Brian Stelter's juicy page turner, "Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV." The book dishes the dirt on "Today" and includes anecdotes about Vieira. "I'm not interested," she said. "I'm over it ... I've kind of been-there-done-that​, and I don't know what the interest is."


Vieira added that although she understands why Stelter wrote the book, she can't support it because she cares for her former coworkers.

"I don't want to get on a high horse, because I understand why people write it," she said. "I'm not trying to say he's wrong to do it, but I look at it and it's so personal to me. It's my friends."


Most of all, Vieira said she feels bad for Lauer, who has been pummeled in the press for his role in Ann Curry's firing and his bullying of Anderson Cooper, his possible replacement. A couple of weeks ago, Lauer joked that he is less popular than polio. 

"Even if (NBC) blew it from a P.R. point of view, you've got to move on," Vieira said. "I think what is happening to Matt is really wrong."

No comments: