Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

What A Real Life Cowboy Taught Me Today



I Am Afraid Of Horses

I love animals, but have always been afraid of horses. Not too long ago, I said that I would overcome my fear and maybe get on a gentle mare, at some point and ride it. I will probably never do this (lol), but at least it is something that I think about. By nature, I am not a daredevil of any type.

This morning, I was on the bus and a guy sat across from me, dressed as a cowboy from tiptoe to tiptoe and from head to foot. We began talking. I told him that he looked like a cowboy (but from his face and the lines in his face, that spoke of the rodeo.)

He grew up on a cattle farm and lived on one for all of his life. He has been in rodeo championship games many times. He is 70 years of age, now. I told him of my fears.

He said that when I approach a horse. let him smell my hand. And we both agreed to have sugar in the hand and turn it over and let him snack. He said that horses love carrots, more than sugar and an apples. He said if I approach a horse from the back, walk very close his side, because he can't kick. He needs extension to kick. Makes a whole lot of sense.

But most importantly, let him smell your hand for they have a great sense of smell

Wow !

No comments: