Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Living in Tempe, Home of ASU and Phoenix, AZ.


These are my most recent thoughts, yet ongoing provoked inspiration about Tempe, Arizona, where I live. I don't know if this is really provoked inspiration, but its close !!


I have been living in Tempe, southern section of Phoenix, AZ. for 18 months. I moved to this college town because the weather is good and the university. I wanted to do graduate work. What a perfect combination I thought for chilling out in life.

I moved from Pullman WA., having been a graduate student at WSU. I stayed there for almost five years. I was stuck, but was ok with it. I had grown to know almost in the city and many of them knew me. In fact, it was a good experience. However, when I first got there, it snowed in June. I knew right then and there, "get in and get out as soon as possible, haha!. Oh no, no more east coast winter blizzards, ice and frost on my hair nose.

So here I am in Tempe, just having a miserable time, haha, but true!. Why? Oh my goodness, where do I begin. It's a serious Republican state that is real conservative. Remember that Arizona was the last state in the Union to recognize Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Holiday. This statement, alone, is loaded and can be unpacked very easily.

There are two people who are at the helm. The sheriff is more at the helm than the governor. That is Governor Jan Brewer and Sheriff. Sheriff Arpaio, the nationally known sheriff, who is on a witch hunt for all Mexicans. Any Mexican is a target. Then there is a governor who does not mind putting her hands on her hips and pointing her finger in the President's face. You and Martin Luther King, I never liked, haha, but true.

Sheriff Arpaio built a jail in the desert. It is called Tent City. In the summertime, it can get to be 115 degrees. A national journalist interviewed him and asked if he thought that it was cruel to have people in tents at that temperature. He said, yes, and emphatically, at that. No need to review his reasons. Just mean behavior. The lines in his face say, "mean m---f---". Even though the state voted overwhelmingly for medicinal marijuan, the sheriff and his posse are out to get you, haha

Phoenix is the fifth largest city in the Union. Buses stop running at 10:pm If you have a job and work from 3-11 p.m., you better have a car, lots of cab money or your job is in walking distance. YOU WILL NOT GET A BUS. This might sound racist, but the only logical reason that any major metropolis would shut down public transportation, is to keep the natives at bay or said another way, limit the circulation of undesirables at night. What about on Friday and Saturday nights, let the buses run longer. I don't even think about going out until 10:30. And I am an upright citizen, needing to get from point A to point B and I don't own a car. Two fundamental essences people need in life, i.e., communicate with others, even if it's 3000 miles away and be able to get from point A to point B.

I have had a meltdown. I wanted to say everything that I feel about Phoenix. But it's too much in one setting. Therefore, I have decided that this should be an ongoing expression time for me in my personal life. It is very therapeutic for me and I hope that you have enjoyed reading this par. Some of the stuff that I have said is funny to me, yet my reality. Some of our realities are very serious and the need to cope so that one maintains his identity and his existence in good shape is very challenging. Peace

Please feel free to comment. I would enjoy hearing your thoughts and opinions

Donnell






No comments: