Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Be Sensitive or Insensitive is the Question ???

A lot of Black models looking for work who don't have to be made up to look Black


'African Queen' editorial uses white model

French fashion magazine features white teen model painted in blackface.

Photo: Numéro magazineThe fashion world has been known to push the boundaries of what’s socially acceptable and without a doubt, stir controversy.

In the March 2013 issue of Numéro magazine, 16-year-old white model Ondria Hardin appears drenched in a very deep bronze for a fashion spread called "African Queen,” reports Jezebel.com.

More from Simply Chic: Are Thin Models Going Out of Style?

Hello! This would have been the perfect opportunity to hire a black model, as there are fewer job opportunities for non-white models. Eighty-two percent of the models at New York Fashion Week this season were white, cites Jezebel.

More than 150 people have commented on author Laura Beck’s article, including this one from “fashionlady”
“Can I just say as a young black model (I'm a girl) having worked my ass for the past 3 years, this hurts my soul. I'm happy for Ondria as a person but the amount of times I have been told ‘oh sorry we already have a black girl that looks like you’ or ‘most of our clients dont hire black girls, sorry’ and then I see THIS, it pisses me off! There are so many beauitful black models out there working TWICE as hard for barely half the recognition and the only time they give a shit about us is when they need our dark skin for some ‘ethnic’ photo shoot and in this case with Ondria, they couldn't even be bothered. Can I see a black girl do SCANDANAVIAN PRINCESS please? Hmmm?”

No comments: